Ohio Wesleyan University is a selective, private, undergraduate liberal arts, residential institution founded in 1842 and located just 20 miles north of Columbus, is seeking candidates for the position of Director of Production/Technical Director for the Performing Arts Department. This is a salaried, full-time position with benefits.
You are a master’s degree graduate in technical theater or design with a desire to contribute to theater in an academic setting. You have experience in set construction and supervision, as well as scenic and lighting design, and are eager to pass on your knowledge and experience to students. You are organized, efficient, able to solve problems and pivot around obstacles as needed. You are a good communicator and effective at working with people of diverse backgrounds. You are interested in not only making a theater space vibrant for the students on campus, but also welcoming and working with members of the larger community.
The theater program in the Performing Arts Department puts on three or four productions per year (one of them being a dance production) in the Chappelear Drama Center. We have approximately 30 theater majors and minors, as well as several non-majors, who contribute to the mainstage season and self-produced student works. The program is undergoing an exciting new turn toward a 21st-century curriculum that is artist/entrepreneur centered, DEI aware, and engaged with the community, and we seek applicants for whom such a focus is an energizing match.
Ohio Wesleyan University’s Department of Performing Arts invites applications for a full-time, 12-month Director of Production/Technical Director to begin in January 2023. We are seeking someone who will commit and contribute to an equitable, healthy, and generative departmental culture for learning and working. Responsibilities primarily involve managing the operational and technical needs of the Chappelear Drama Center, with secondary responsibilities to teach two total units per school year and to assist with technical needs in Jemison Auditorium and Jannuzzi Dance Studio. The Technical Director will also be entrepreneurial in supporting and growing the productions in the Theater as well as external rentals of the Theater space.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Technical planning, drafting, and construction of sets for 2-3 mainstage theater productions per year
- Designing scenery or lighting for two main season production each year, with the possibility of supplemental design opportunities
- Organizing and managing the Chappelear mainstage and studio theaters, shop areas, and prop storage
- Teaching two total units per school year in technical theater, lighting, scenery, sound, costumes, scene painting, props, stage management and/or design
- Serving as TD for external groups renting the Chappelear spaces
Factors contributing success:
- Master’s Degree in Theater, MFA preferred, with a design or technical theater focus from an accredited college or university.
- Computer aided drafting skills in Vectorworks or AutoCAD and proficiency in word processing
- Proficiency with Lightwright and ETC lighting consoles
- Well-versed in safety precautions and procedures for theater spaces
- Experience with stage, set, sound, lighting, and costume design and implementation; stage carpentry and stage rigging; computerized lighting systems; stage management
- Ability and experience teaching and supervising college-age students of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to address proactively challenges in design proposals and build processes
- Flexible—able to manage multiple projects and set priorities
- Must be able to: Lift and move materials and equipment weighing up to 75 pounds, wear fall arrest harnesses, wear respirator, frequently lift, load/unload vehicles and move furniture, regularly squat and maintain position, regularly crawl and kneel, regularly reach above shoulders, regularly climb and work from ladders and personnel lifts, occasionally climb vertical ladders, stand and walk for up to 8 hours
Completed application packets will include:
1) Cover Letter with salary requirements
2) Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
WHAT WE OFFER:
Ohio Wesleyan University offers a rewarding place to work! To discover why this should be your next work home, visit our website. Learn more about our benefits at Discover our Benefits. As an equal opportunity institution, OWU has a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism. We do not discriminate on any basis including: race, religion, color, culture, national origin, sex and/or sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and/or expression, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, economic barriers, or any other legally protected factor.
NOTE: Employment sponsorship is not available for this position. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States. OWU requires COVID-19 vaccination of all employees. Candidates who accept offers of employment must be able to provide proof of their vaccination status before their employment can be processed.